Monday, July 14, 2008

Another week in the LDP


I bought Oregano and Basil. Had to 'spice' things up... hardi hardi har har...... :-)

See if you can figure out the names of these spices! I actually can name about half of them. Rosemary is near the bottom - РОЗМФРИН
Oragano is few containers above it - ОРЕГАНО
It's a difficult language!


View from the new balcony. Windows!! They LOVE windows in church! Isn't that amazing they can do that?!?!?

Locals singing at the Sunday service

Rebecca attempting to place an order. We gave up, and got coffee.

Little shops. No Wal Mart here!

This store sells bread, produce, meat, and beer. They all sell beer. (A lot of alcoholics around)

Inside the new building where the Christian Church is being built.



Vera and I played in the saw dust. She knew a little English.


Me with my Babushka! Her name is Gallia. We run to each other at least twice a day. She is the one I described in my story. She gives me candy :-)


Inside the meat market


Strolling through the outdoor market

Inside the bunker


Trenches on the Russian side from WWII. We were told to NEVER go to the other side of the river. There are A LOT of live mines over there. Families are chopping and stacking wood for the winter. It's brutal!

Home-made well!
Our shoes lined up at the door. It's so dirty outside that we try not to drag mud and dirt into our flats.

Chris, Aimee, and Rebecca enjoying Peanut butter and jelly sandwiches

Nora, Sonya, Aimee, and Austin

WWII museum of Lodeynoye Pole

Monument at the other river. There's a quote from Stalin on the front from the 900 days war.

Dima, Liza, and their mother playing on the banks of the river.


Rebecca and I went to church Sunday, and it was amazing! Just like last week. They all recognized us and tried to talk. We were able to communicate with a few of the younger kids since they take a few English classes in the schools. I was able to record some video. Still haven't figured how to get it online. They sang "He Has Made Me Glad", "I Surrender All", and a few others that we knew! Some of the men wore Gideon pins. So its great to see our missions at work that came before us! My Babushka lady finally has a name! Her name is Gallia. She is adorable. I run into her a few times a day. It's kind of a joke now. In a city of thousands, I still see her as far away as an hour's walk from our flat. I get a lot of kisses from her. We talk. Have no idea what each other is saying. But we always smile, kiss, hug, and I've learned to say God Loves you, and Praise the Lord, so we say that over and over, along with "I Love You". She is my own personal Russian angel! She gives me sugar free candy. She doesn't speak any English, but through motions, I learned she is a bad diabetic taking insulin injections, and think her legs are too big (haha), so she buys bad rice cakes and sugar free candy. She always pets my head, plays with my hair, and touches my face. And I just stand there and let her, smile, and say a few Russian phrases over and over. I'm trying to learn more so I can talk to her!
We went to the cafe after the service. We spent a total of about 1 hour and 40 minutes walking there and back, so I needed food! I ordered a beef crepe. I GOT a greasy pork chop with grilled onions. Not sure how that happened.
Saturday, Chris, Austin, Aimee, and I went with a few people to the river. It's the sight where the Russians held off the German army during the 900 days war. The war trenches and bunkers are still there, and there is a museum (but it was closed).
Thanks again for your prayers and love. I don't think I can truly express my gratitude for your support. I am so lucky and blessed to be here living in Russia. Thank you for reading and following my stories. I also appreciate your emails!
Love you all,

Kim Rogers

КИМ РОДЖЕРС (my name in Russian!)






Kim

No comments: